Projected seeding is based on team ratings from TheRankerPit.com.
A few noteworthy differences with consensus projections from the Bracketology community (found at bracketmatrix.com)
- Baylor has finally slipped to a consensus 2-seed. They’ve slipped from a 5- to a 6-seed after losing to Iowa State. Let’s see if they continue to slide as everyone’s perception of them catches up to how good they actually are.
- Kansas is still a consensus 1-seed, but their team rating puts them at a 4-seed. According to the model’s ratings, West Virginia is the best team in the Big 12 and deserve the 1-seed. Kansas beat Texas in Austin by 10 over the weekend. Kent State only beat Texas by 5, so there’s that I guess.
- I have Wichita State as a 2-seed – way higher than the consensus 10-seed. Wichita State’s rating is probably a bit inflated from all of the large scoring margins accomplished against their relatively weak conference competition.
- Xavier is slowly slipping and is now a consensus 8-seed, but their slide in my ratings puts them now in the First Four Out of the tournament.
- Maryland finally dropped to a consensus 7-seed. They lost at home by 14 to Iowa (whose record is 16-13) – yet another loss that supports my position for Maryland not making the tournament. They’ve now lost 5 of their last 7 games, which also supports my assertion of Maryland being one of the most overrated teams.
- BYU and Michigan State have been on the bubble for a while and are now in.
|16||Eastern Wash.||16||UC Irvine|
|12||BYU/Louisiana Tech||12||Michigan St./TCU|
|4||Florida St.||4||St. Mary’s (CA)|
|11||East Tenn. St.||11||Marquette|
|14||New Mexico St.||14||Valparaiso|
|2||Wichita St.||2||North Carolina|
|16||Texas Southern/Wagner||16||A&M-Corpus Chris/N.C. Central|
|8||South Carolina||8||Texas Tech|