11-seeds have become the ultimate bracket busters. They’ve laid waste to brackets twice in the last 11 years by reaching the Final 4. 11-seeds have actually reached the Round of 32 and the Sweet 16 about as often as 12-seeds, but they’re the only double-digit seed to make it to the Final 4.
- 49 (of 132) advanced to the Second Round
- 20 went on to the Sweet 16
- 7 reached the Elite 8
- 3 reached the Final 4
Performance Over the Last 10 Years
- 20 (of 40) advanced to the Second Round
- 9 went on to the Sweet 16
- 3 reached the Elite 8
- 1 reached the Final 4
Bracket Performance History and Advice
- First Round: 37% win their First Round game = 84% chance of at least one upset. In the last 29 years, a 11-seed failed to advance only 3 times.
- Second Round: Only 15% of 11-seeds advance past the Second Round, but it’s happened in 7 of the last 10 years.
- Sweet 16: Of the 20 teams to reach this round, seven of them continued to the next. Seven out of the last 10 Sweet 16’s included a 11-seed.
- Elite 8: Only 5% make it this far.
- Final 4: It’s happened three times, ever.
- Final: Never reached the final.
Record in the Second Round
- vs 3-seeds: 15-29
- vs 14-seeds: 5-0
Feats of Strength
- In 1989 all four 11-seeds advanced to the second round
- Three 11-seeds have advanced to the Final 4:
- 2011 – Virginia Commonwealth
- 2006 – George Mason
- 1986 – LSU