11-seeds have become the ultimate bracket busters. 11-seed Loyola-Chicago did it again last year. They’ve laid waste to brackets twice in the last 8 years by reaching the Final 4. 11-seeds have actually reached the Second Round and the Sweet 16 about as often as 12-seeds, but they’re the only double-digit seed to make it to the Final 4.
- 51 (of 136) advanced to the Second Round
- 22 went on to the Sweet 16
- 8 reached the Elite 8
- 4 reached the Final 4
Performance Over the Last 10 Years
- 21 (of 40) advanced to the Second Round
- 11 went on to the Sweet 16
- 4 reached the Elite 8
- 2 reached the Final 4
Bracket Performance History and Advice
- First Round: There is an 84% chance of at least one upset. It’s been 15 years since we haven’t seen an 11-seed pull off a First Round upset. In the last 26 years, an 11-seed failed to advance only 3 times.
- Second Round: 11-seeds are on an incredible run – at least one 11-seed has won their Second Round game in 8 of the last 10 tournaments. Overall, there’s about a 50% chance at least one 11-seed will advance to the Sweet 16.
- Sweet 16: Of the 22 teams to reach this round, eight of them continued to the next. Eight out of the last 10 Sweet 16’s included a 11-seed.
- Elite 8: Only 6% make it this far.
- Final 4: It’s happened four times, ever.
- Final: Never reached the final.
Record in the Second Round
- vs 3-seeds: 17-29
- vs 14-seeds: 5-0
Feats of Strength
- In 1989 all four 11-seeds advanced to the second round
- Three 11-seeds have advanced to the Final 4:
- 2019 – Loyola-Chicago
- 2011 – Virginia Commonwealth
- 2006 – George Mason
- 1986 – LSU