After going 10 years without a single win, six15’s have advanced to the Second Round in the last 10 tournaments. Is this a new trend? A total fluke?
15-seeds’ overall record is 10-138 (0.068). Doesn’t sound like much to be concerned about, right? In the last 10 tournaments, 15-seeds are 6-34 (0.150).
- 10 (of 148) advanced to the Second Round
- 3 went on to the Sweet 16
- None reached the Elite 8
Performance Over the Last 10 Years
- 6 (of 40) advanced to the Second Round
- 3 reached the Sweet 16
- 1 reached the Elite 8
Feats of Strength
- In 2022, Saint Peter’s made history as the first 15-seed to reach the Elite 8, and they didn’t luck into an easy path. They eliminated 2-Kentucky (85-70 in OT), 7-Murray State (70-60), and 3-Purdue (67-64), before losing to 8-North Carolina (49-69) in the regional final.
- In 2013, Florida Gulf Coast became the first 15-seed to advance to the Sweet 16. It was a lot of fun to watch! After beating 2-seed Georgetown (78-68), FGCU beat 7-seed San Diego State (81-71) two days later. The hot streak ended with a 50-62 loss to 3-seed Florida.
- 2021 Oral Roberts advanced to the Sweet 16 after beating 2-Ohio State (75-72) and 7-Florida (81-78). They lost to 3-Arkansas 70-72.
- The Other Bracketbusters
- 2016: Middle Tennessee over Michigan State 90-81
- 2012: Lehigh over Duke 75-70 & Norfolk State over Missouri 86-84
- 2001: Hampton over Iowa State 58-57
- 1997: Coppin State over South Carolina 78-65 (lost by 1 point to Texas in the next round)
- 1993: Santa Clara over Arizona 64-61
- 1991: Richmond over Syracuse 73-69