Ok, 15-seeds. Like one of those Twilight vampire novels, I’m finding it very difficult to read you. After going 10 years without a single win, four 15’s have advanced to the Second Round in the last 6 years. Is this a new trend? A total fluke?
15-seeds’ overall record is 8-124 (0.061). Doesn’t sound like much to be concerned about, right. But 7 of the last 27 tourneys have seen a 15-seed advance.
- 8 (of 132) advanced to the Second Round
- 1 went on to the Sweet 16
- None reached the Elite 8
Performance Over the Last 10 Years
- 4 (of 40) advanced to the Second Round
- 1 reached the Sweet 16
Feats of Strength
- In 2013, Florida Gulf Coast became the first 15-seed to advance to the Sweet 16. It was a lot of fun to watch! After beating 2-seed Georgetown 78-68, FGCU beat 7-seed San Diego State 81-71 two days later. The hot streak ended with a 50-62 loss to 3-seed Florida.
- The Other Bracketbusters
- 2016: Middle Tennessee over Michigan State 90-81
- 2012: Lehigh over Duke 75-70 & Norfolk State over Missouri 86-84
- 2001: Hampton over Iowa State 58-57
- 1997: Coppin State over South Carolina 78-65 (lost by 1 point to Texas in the next round)
- 1993: Santa Clara over Arizona 64-61
- 1991: Richmond over Syracuse 73-69